Trail of Painted Ponies
The Trail of Painted Ponies started as a public art project in New Mexico. In the summer of 2000, a major sculptor was appointed to come up with a way to boost interest and awareness in the country’s history and cultural heritage.
Life-size ceramic ponies were distributed to famous and emerging artists for painting. The ceramic works of art were auctioned off to support various non-profit organizations.
Below are some example product of Trail of Painted Ponies that you can purchase at Amazon:
With the success of the New Mexico project, Westland Giftware acquired license to produce small-scale replicas of the painted ponies and market them as collectibles in 2002. A pony figurine begins as an artist’s work of art then crafted into a ceramic figurine.
The first set of 12 figurines was made available in early 2003. Since then, Westland Giftware releases new additions in a 6-month interval. Painted ponies cost $20 to $30 a piece, but when the company “retires” a design, a single limited edition figurine can cost up to hundreds of dollars!
What started as a public art project in 2002 is now one of the greatest collection of all time. Today, the Painted Ponies collection is not only limited to small-scale pony figurines. Here is a list of other stuff you can get from the collection that is sure to be enjoyed by a horse lover.
• Ornaments are miniature replicas of the painted ponies that are made as holiday décor or design gift bows and draperies.
• Books from the Painted Ponies collection are essential guides for all Trail collectors. These books feature the history of The Trail and a background on each of the crafted figurine.
• Jeweled gift boxes with pony themes made from lead-free casts and decorated with Austrian crystal, 24-karat gold or silver plating.
• Equine jewelry such as earrings, bracelets, necklaces and pins detailed with Austrian crystals.
• Clothing and accessories with horse designs that is well-crafted and creatively designed such as hoodies or sweatshirts, T-shirts, outerwear, caps, handbags and wallets.
• Painted Ponies home décor such as painted art glass, candles and diffusers, lamps and prints.
• Painted Ponies Paint Your Own Kit provides the opportunity for you to create your own equine work of art.
HorseCrazy Girls Favorite Trail of the Painted Ponies Figurines...
Here are some Trail of the Painted Ponies figurines to check out! Feel free to share your comments on the ones you've have!
War Cry Pony Not rated yet
An elegant rearing white stallion decorated with tribal markings that reveal important aspects of Native American Society.
The Spirit Figurine Not rated yet
An elegant rearing white stallion decorated that signifies characteristics of the Native American Society.
Happy Trails Flight of Fancy Not rated yet
Using the horse as a canvas, Trail of Painted Ponies figurines share a diverse array of spectacular artistry through …
Storm Rider Figurine Not rated yet
Bolts of lightning flash like jagged spears thrown by an angry mythological god, a sudden loud crack of thunder, rain, …
Bedazzled Pony Figurine Not rated yet
The Bedazzled Pony Figurine is just gorgeous. It’s shiny, sparkly and so pretty. The horse is just stunning there’s …
El Dorado Figurine Not rated yet
There is a legendary story of a magnificent Lost City of Gold which has fascinated explorers since the quests of the …
Dream Horse Figurine Not rated yet
Kick-start your imagination and hit the open road with 'Motorcycle Mustang.' They are proud and powerful, much like the wild mustangs …
Western Charm Figurine Not rated yet
Take a bracelet adorned with sterling silver Western charms, wrap it around a pretty Palomino horse that is dressed …
Midnight Moonlight Not rated yet
Using the horse as a canvas, artist Jennifer Macneil Traylor shares a diverse array of spectacular artistry through …
Stands in Beauty Not rated yet
There is a Navajo healing ceremony named “Beautyway." Its meaning has to do with being in harmony with all things, all …