Benjamin Bale - PART 1

by Abbie and Heidi :D <3

I buried my face into the warmth of my new horses mane. His name was Benjamin Bale, Ben for short. He was a 15:3 HH warm-blood used for hunting. He was strong, and majestic. Way too much for a 12 year old girl. I had no idea how right I was. I tried and tried to put on his bridle without being knocked out. It has happened! It never worked.

One night when I tried to do it I got knocked to the ground, right against the water trough, spraying cold water over my back. I had the saddle on him and he shook it off, causing it to fall on my arm. All I felt was a spiraling pain that shot up my arm. I passed out. I woke up in the hospital with my arm in a cast. "Bella honey, I think we have to sell Ben. You know why." I just stared in horror. I knew he had problems but we could fix them! I just couldn't believe her.

I went to see Ben and his big eyes seemed to say sorry. I believed him! My mum didn't though. She wanted to sell him. I didn't.

What was wrong with him?
Would I see him again?
Why did that happen?

Find out in Part 2...

To be continued...

Click here to read or post comments

Return to Horse Training Stories.

Benjamin Bale - PART 2

by Abbie



That night was the hardest of my life. Seeing my mum put up the ad for him, my mum and dad telling me that I could have a better horse than him and worst of all, if he doesn't get sold... he'll be put to sleep!

It was around midnight I woke up. I just couldn't bare it any more. I had to see Ben. I pulled on my jodhpurs and brushed my hair. I went down stairs to get the garage key. I couldn't find it! After about 20 minutes of searching I found it in Toby's bed. I opened up the door and pulled out my APOLLO bike and cycled to the stables.

I ditched my bike at the door and went to see Ben. It was horrible what I saw. Ben was just lying there, in the cold sawdust of his stable, barely breathing. Now it was 1:13 AM. It was pretty risky getting the manager but I did anyway. Was Ben dying?

By 6:00 AM my parents were by my side as the vet checked Ben over. I was normally a rude tomboy but today I was a big crying softie. "I'm afraid Ben had severe colic and his teeth are overgrown." said Mr Lane. "But we got him 3 days ago. If it's so severe wouldn't he have had it for a while? The same with his teeth?" I asked. "Yes. He also has worms. We will have to contact his old owners and question them."

As Ben rested, I was comforted by my friend and her pony Oswald. "I can't believe it! You've only had him for 3 days!" said Emily "I know. I just hope he'll be okay." I said back. I fed Oswald and went to visit Ben.

Ben seemed better. He was still lying down but he had something to drink, done the toilet and was eating hay. I checked Ben's poo (not the nicest of things) and seen millions and millions of red worms! It was soooo scary. I lay beside Ben and he rested his newly rasped jaw on my lap! That was the first time ever!

A few months later I was hunting Ben and coming first in every show! People were begging for Ben but we never sold him. In fact, they're still begging!

Click here to read or post comments

Return to Horse Training Stories.